Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Science Experiment

The proud new owner of a ten-speed bike,
I set off on a cyclist’s hike,
Armed with wristwatch and a bit of math,
to test my speed on the cars’ wide path.

Twenty-six and a half inches proved,
with a minute or so at a reasonable groove
The circumference of the black rubber arc
could be multiplied to my rate since start

Intently bearing down on the wheel’s spinning shadow,
Watching my wrist,the time in a window -
Counting each revolution,flying along,
as feet spun fearlessly, recklessly on.

When much to August’s quirky chagrin,
the bicycle tire found it’s reciprocal twin.
The curve of a blade, a parked snowplow,
threw horse and rider, and creased his brow.

Science’s lesson that day was quick;
not rates or speeds or geometry’s trick!
No, the thing I learned, the physical lecture:
Don’t lose sight of the bigger picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment